Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Orchard ~ Reviewed

The Orchard is one of those rare spots in Manhattan that everyone knows about but nobody talks about. Thus, it’s also one of those rare spots that you can actually get a reservation at a normal hour and not feel like you’re catching the early bird special or having your second dinner of the evening at 10:30 PM (you know who you are). I walked in not exactly knowing what to expect and left pleasantly surprised. The sexy atmosphere is modern but still very comfortable. Soft yellow lighting, light wood tables, and faint salsa music creates the perfect backdrop for a date or a fun dinner with friends any day of the week.

The waiters bode well with their LES neighborhood: laidback with a smidge of nonchalant humor. My waiter in particular made an orgasmic sound after I ordered the side of mushrooms (which I took as good sign) and proceeded to ask if my dish was “yummerzzz.” Nope, I’m not kidding. But his odd sexual signals were dead-on: the mushrooms and all the sides were amazing. In fact, everyone at my four-person dinner was very happy with their meals.

To start, we split the delicious royal trumpet mushroom flatbread with polenta, mushroom puree, and fresh herbs. Heaven: the thin flatbread was light and crispy and the mushroom mixture was rich, creamy and earthy. I had the Grilled Bronzini filleted with lemon/lime-glazed vegetables for my main course, which was everything I expect Branzini to be: simple, light, lemony and never too fishy. Instead of dessert (this is the diet diva writing) I opted for a specialty cocktail and it was just as indulgent. I really wanted to try a few more, but it was a Monday night and I had to get a good nights sleep/watch Gossip Girls/The Hills. Bottom Line: part-Italian, part-Spanish, this downtown restaurant is an all-around winner and I hope our insanely popular blog doesn’t completely blow up it’s spot and I’ll still be able to grab a table if I call less than a few days in advance.

The Orchard (212-353-3570) - 162 Orchard Street between Stanton & Rivington

No comments: